Did you know? There’s more to roller skating than you thought! Here’s 10 things you might not have known about roller skating.
1. John Joseph Merlin was the first to introduce roller skates in 1760 at a fancy masquerade party. He was trying to show off but after no practice, he ran into a mirror and suffered serious physical injuries (ouch)!
2. Trucks were introduced in 1863 by James Plimpton, which allowed you to turn while in the direction you want to go. This changed the future of skates forever!
3. In 1916, Charlie Chaplin starred in the first roller skating movie, The Rink.
4. The first marriage on roller skates took place in 1912, in Milwaukee, WI!
5. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has found roller skating to be twice as safe as playgrounds and three times safer than basketball or football.
6. Roller skating burns 600 calories an hour and provides a good cardio workout.
7. Roller skating centers host 23 million visits per year from kids in grades fifth through seventh and 18 million visits annually by kindergarteners through fourth graders.
8. An American Sports Data survey revealed 10.8 million people roller skate (traditional quad skating). Another 29 million inline skate.