Let’s face it, running isn’t for everyone. Most people think of sweating in a gym full of other sweaty people when they think about getting in shape, but we did some digging and below are five reasons why you can cancel your gym membership and pick up a pair of roller skates.
- Great way to cross train. The International Roller Skating Association (IRSA) states that roller skating as an equivalent to jogging in terms of health benefits and caloric intake, reduction of body fat and leg strength development.
- Helps strengthen the heart. According to the American Heart Association (AHA), roller skating is an effective aerobic exercise that aids in strengthening the heart, and research conducted at the University of Konstantz in Germany, concluded that moderate roller skating will increase the skater’s heartbeat to 140-160 beats per minute.
- Easy on your joints. A study conducted at the University of Massachusetts revealed that in-line skating causes less than 50 percent of the impact shock to joints compared to running.
- It works your entire body. According to the IRSA, studies have shown that roller skating provides a complete aerobic workout and involves all of the body’s muscles.
5. Good for your mood. Roller skating combines fitness with fun. Have you ever seen someone roller skating with a frown? Of course not! Between the lights, music, social opportunities and health benefits, roller skating is one of the most fun ways to work out!